Kids say the darndest things…

2 Comments
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,
Posted 08 Apr 2010 in Children, family, Personal

Tonight, my oldest son came down the stairs (after bedtime of course) and the following conversation took place:

(he’s 6 by the way)

Son: “Um…what would be the effects if someone were to swallow a quarter?  Or a token?”
Me: “Uh.  Did you swallow a quarter?”
Son: “No, I swallowed my Chuck E. Cheese Token”
Me: “…”
Son: “How do I get it out?”
Me: “It’ll come out eventually.  It will hurt too.”
Son: “Oh. ”
Me: “Why was it in your mouth?”
Son: “I don’t know.  I’m sorry!”
Me: “You’re not in trouble, I was just curious.”
Son: “Can we get it out?”
Me: “Nope.  You’ll have to do it on your own.”
Son: “OK.  I really liked that token.”

He heads on back up to bed and my wife and I shake our heads and laugh.  How?  Why?  What? Really?

My first thought was to call poison control (after all, it’s a foreign substance), but I turned to Google instead.   Kids seem to swallow all sorts of things.  Google helpfully suggested a quarter, dime, penny, nickel, coin, tooth, etc.  But I saw some that gave me pause.  Marble.  Lego. Battery?  Why would a kid have a battery in his mouth long enough for a parent to need to Google this?  I digress…

A bit of poking around Google results confirmed what I already knew.  As long as he passes it, all is fine.

About 20 minutes after the above conversation, he’s back downstairs again.  (Yes, this is a nightly ritual of playing the bed yo-yo game).  He holds up a coin and says “Wa-da!  I found it under my leg!”  Huh.  OK, good.  Go back to bed.

I don’t think it’s good that I worry this much about my 6 year old. At least he didn’t really swallow the token, he only thought he had.


1 Comments

  1. Lucky! I don’t think mine have swallowed anything too unusual, but if they have, they wisely haven’t told me about it ;D

    Reply

1 Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. Tweets that mention Kids say the darndest things… | Outside the Fire -- Topsy.com 12 04 10

Add Your Comment